Clinical Negligence & Catastrophic Injury Solicitors
Kim Daniells of the CNCI team recently concluded a claim on behalf of the family of a deceased individual who had suffered from asbestosis.
The deceased was routinely exposed to asbestos powder while working as a maintenance worker for boilers. The claimant was required to mix the asbestos into a paste by hand before applying to the boilers as a form of lagging. There was evidence that his employer knew about the dangers of asbestos however no effort was made to create a safe working environment.
Before his death the claimant had suffered from shortness of breath, often not being able to walk more than 50 metres at a time. Because of his breathing difficulties he was unable to participate in the sports he loved or tend to his garden.
Additionally his illness gave him very limited mobility and he had to rely on his very supportive family for his basic needs.
The claimant was contested by the Defendants and Court Proceedings were issued. The matter was settled prior to a final Court Hearing. Damages were agreed in the sum of £40,000.
Speaking of the settlement Kim Daniells said “20th Century working conditions continue to cause devastating illness today. I am pleased to bring this matter to a conclusion for the family”.