Advising with empathy and experience

C. diff outbreak in Welsh hospital.

An inquest in Llandudno has been told that a retired teacher, Ann Gregory, 81,who had warned hospital staff about a lack of hand cleaning at Glan Clwyd Hospital and a Community Hospital later died after contracting clostridium difficile (c.diff).

The Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) has apologised for an outbreak of c.diff at Glan Clwyd Hospital. The health board has apologised for its failure to control infections at Glan Clwyd. A report has indicated that between January and May of 2013 there were 96 cases of c.diff infection at the site. At least 7 patients who died were found to be carrying the bug.

 Deputy Coroner Nicola Jones said “it is highly unlikely she acquired c.diff in the community… I am satisfied it was a hospital acquired infection”.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.