Advising with empathy and experience

Young mother died after failings in care.

A mother who died hours after being told she was ready to leave hospital could have lived if doctors had treated her properly, a coroner has said.

Sian Hollands, 25, died from a pulmonary embolism at Darent Valley Hospital, Kent, in November 2015.

The hearing at Gravesend Coroner's Court heard that the condition of the former drug user was put down to withdrawal.

The inquest was told Ms Hollands went to the hospital complaining of breathing difficulties and chest and stomach pain three weeks after suffering an ectopic pregnancy.

The inquest heard that Sian Hollands was taking methadone to treat her drug addiction, but had stopped for a few days.

Ms Hollands was given an electrocardiogram (ECG) and methadone and was then told she was being discharged.

The hearing was told her partner refused to take her home because she was still unwell, and Ms Hollands had a cardiac arrest in hospital.

Recording a narrative verdict, coroner, Roger Hatch, said: "The death of Sian Hollands was due to the failures of the doctors at the Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford to examine, diagnose and treat her for pulmonary embolism following her admission to the hospital. Had they done so, on the balance of probability, she would not have died."

After the hearing, Ms Hollands' family issued a statement saying that they were "shocked and devastated" by the findings and that "Sian was judged, labelled and ignored."

The statement added: “Sian was a loved young woman in her prime who leaves behind three young children who struggle every day without their mummy."

In a statement, Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust said it would be complying with the coroner's directions, and added: "We apologise to the family that Sian did not receive the level of care that she was entitled to expect when she came into A&E in November 2015.

"The inquest has highlighted a number of weaknesses in the way that her care was delivered."

A spokesman said the trust had looked at its emergency department procedures and changed its system in order to recognise how severely a patient might be deteriorating.

He also said staffing levels had been increased, with a general manager available on weekdays and extended matron cover at weekends.