Advising with empathy and experience

Unexplained death of Bedhampton woman.


THE family of a ‘super-fit’ woman are demanding answers after she died from a blood clot just days after she completed a marathon and in spite of making five visits to medics seeking help.

Lisa Calladine, 36, a sales co-ordinator from Bedhampton, first sought help after a painful lump appeared on her leg that she feared might have been deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Her family claim she was told at the St Mary’s walk-in clinic, Milton, that it was an allergic reaction and told her to revisit if the problem persisted.

They also allege that Lisa, of Redbridge Grove, Bedhampton, continued to feel unwell and went to her GP surgery, Homewell Curlew Practice, Havant, a further three or four times in the build up to the Brighton Marathon, on April 17, 2016.

Then, on April 27, Lisa made frantic early-morning calls to her family saying she could not breathe. She died shortly afterwards. Her death certificate states the cause of death was a pulmonary embolism deep vein thrombosis.

Lisa’s mother, Donna Marsh, says: “‘Her motto was “Believe and Achieve” and she achieved so much in her life.

“Her house was full of medals. Lisa was so excited about the Brighton Marathon. She had a set time she wanted to do it in but on the day she was so ill she had to walk it.

“But that was her level of determination. She wouldn’t give up because she was raising money for charity. She told me she went to her own practice in February and they told her she was too young and fit to have DVT and it must be a muscle knot.

‘Then breathing trouble began – she found it difficult to take a breath. Lisa said they told her it was a viral infection. Eventually it got so bad she could hardly walk.

‘She said she was told her lung wasn’t working at full capacity because of a bacterial infection. But it was the clot on her lung.’

‘No other family should have to go through this. That somebody so fit and so healthy should lose her life because this blood clot was missed is disgusting. We want to know how this could have happened.”

Care UK, which runs the walk-in centre in Milton, said in a statement it could not find any issue with the diagnosis or advice it gave for Lisa to visit her GP if problems persisted.